Nominations for the 67th Emmy awards were announced this morning and everyone knows that although it is the Oscars of TV, in recent years, it has lost its clout as nominations seemed to be the same people over and over and deserving people didn’t get recognized. I didn’t see everyone I wanted to see but all in all there were decent nominations. Some thoughts:
- Grace of Monaco was nominated. I chuckled at this. I haven’t actually seen it but it was either you didn’t even know it existed or you saw it and thought it ridiculous
- Best Actor and Actress categories are tough calls. Anyone can take it. Yay to Tatiana Masley from Orphan Black finally being recognized. Again, what she does is not easy at all. The noms:
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series
Kyle Chandler, “Bloodline”
Jeff Daniels, “The Newsroom”
Jon Hamm, “Mad Men”
Bob Odenkirk, “Better Call Saul”
Liev Schreiber, “Ray Donovan”
Kevin Spacey, “House of Cards”
Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series
Claire Danes, “Homeland”
Viola Davis, “How to Get Away With Murder”
Taraji P. Henson, “Empire”
Tatiana Maslany, “Orphan Black”
Elisabeth Moss, “Mad Men”
Robin Wright, “House of Cards”
- Yay to Lily Tomlin getting nominated for Grace & Frankie. I am surprised that Jane Fonda didn’t get nominated but I remember talking to a friend while watching and saying Lily Tomlin was the better actress.
- I am so tired of Survivor constantly being passed over for Best Reality Show
- Saw a few complaints about Kerry Washington or Empire not being nominated. Umm, they don’t deserve to be nominated.
- I am so happy my baby Jon Hamm gets to be in the party one last time. Fingers crossed that he actually wins!
- Nothing for Parenthood. Nothing for Sons of Anarchy. Nothing for Emmy Rossum. Nothing for Rogelio (although the narrator for Jane the Virgin got a nom)
- Black women were heavily represented – Taraji P Henson, Viola Davis, Queen Latifah, Mo’nique, Niecy Nash, Regina King, Angela Bassett.
- Why do they keep nominating Don Cheadle? I don’t get it. Hella surprised Jim Parsons was ignored.
- Americans, get over Downton Abbey. It’s not good anymore.
- Still so weird seeing The Honorable Woman on the scene. Feels like forever and a while ago
- Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or Movie should go to noone but Finn Wittrock in “American Horror Story: Freak Show”
- I don’t think Louie deserved its nominations this year. It just wasn’t that good.
- I take back what I said about Empire. It can replace Downton.
These are all I can remember now. Do you have any thoughts?