It’s that time again – even if it doesn’t feel like it. Award season has not felt the same since the pandemic. With the world changing, there is good like movies now being available on streamers and there is the bad like the SAG awards being off TV and instead showing on Netflix’s Youtube channel (never thought I’d see the day)
In recent years, I feel like I keep seeing less and less of the 25 movies I recommend despite my best efforts. As always, I think there were better performances than movies. As always, my 25 is based on nominated movies and front runners. I’ll have my little blurbs by each movie and I will update as I watch more movies.
- Everything Everywhere All At Once – Sorry guys. I know this is the front runner and it will most likely win Best Picture but it just wasn’t for me. I am glad for the representation for Asian actors and I did get the underlying message but it truly was everything everywhere all at once and it was too much going on for me (Streaming on Paramount +)
- All Quiet On the Western Front – haven’t seen (Streaming on HBO Max)
- Avatar – haven’t seen
- Banshees of Inisherin – This was a pleasant surprise. Really enjoyed this and I don’t know if we appreciate Colin Farrell enough but he’s a good actor (Streaming on HBO Max)
- Elvis – From the mind of Baz Luhrman so you know it’s a mind trip. Interesting to have it from the point of view of the man who wronged Elvis but Austin Butler acted his ass off (Streaming on HBO Max)
- The Fabelmans – This was a semi-biography of Steven Spielberg’s life and it was a lovely ode to his family and to his love for cinema. Really enjoyed this one.
- Tar – This was so well done that I know for sure everyone was wondering if Lydia Tar is a real character. Cate Blanchett was fantastic in this (Streaming on Peacock)
- Top Gun: Maverick – Very shocked this made the Best Pic list but good to see the Academy break protocol. It was a good movie that felt more nostalgic than anything (Streaming on Paramount +)
- Triangle of Sadness – I wanted to like this but it just didn’t work for me. Don’t watch while eating. You’ve been warned
- Women Talking – have not seen
- The Whale – Really liked this one. Brendan Fraser acted his ass off.
- Aftersun – have not seen
- Living – have not seen
- Blonde – This movie was terrible and so disrespectful to Marilyn but I commend Anna for her acting and getting the recognition she has been chasing (Streaming on Netflix)
- To Leslie – have not seen
- Causeway – This movie is so subtle but I really liked it. Pretty surprised Jennifer Lawrence didn’t get a nom. She was great in it (Streaming on Apple + TV)
- Black Panther – We had no idea how they would deal with the loss of Chadwick Boseman and Ryan Coogler definitely honored the loss and got the first Oscar acting nom for a Marvel movie (Streaming on Disney+)
- Empire of Light – have not seen
- Fire of Love – have not seen (Streaming on Hulu and Disney+)
- Puss in Boots – have not seen
- Pinnochio – This was heavy! (Streaming on Netflix)
- All that Breathes – have not seen (Streaming on HBO Max)
- RRR – Have not seen (Streaming on Netflix)
- Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery – a fun watch. Daniel Craig shone (Streaming on Netflix)
- Babylon – have not seen (Streaming on Paramount+)
I have barely seen half. Shame on me. But there you go, try to make it through this list and you will have an idea of what’s going on during Oscar night!
What’s Streaming On Netflix
What’s Streaming On Netflix – February 2022 [with recommendations]
One month down! It’s the month of love so there is a ton of romance content including the…
What’s Streaming On Netflix – January 2022
I can’t believe we are here again and starting from January. There is a bunch of new stuff that…