Hey guys, it’s that time again. The time when I help prepare you for the biggest (and most boring) award show in Hollywood, The Oscars. The last few years have given us movies that were really not that amazing but I think 2016 was a good year for the movies. Nominations were announced a few weeks ago. Per usual, there weren’t really any surprises except for maybe Viggo Mortensen for Captain Fantastic and a snub for Amy Adams (who they love) for Arrival. Well, get your movie ticket money and popcorn ready as we go through this list. As I always do, I will leave notes on my thoughts on the movies that I have seen. For the movies that I am yet to see, feel free to check back as I will update as I see them.
- Arrival – This was a really thought provoking movie. One of those silent waves. I had to let it sit for a minute after it was over. After I digested and replayed in my head(and asked someone what the heck did i just watch), I recognized its brilliance. Still confused about one scene.
- Fences – Strong performances by every.single.person in the movie. You could tell that this movie was originally a play because words. lots of words. I had my blankie in the theater and I took some quick power naps.
- Hacksaw Ridge – I can’t believe I liked this movie! War movies aren’t my thing and in typical Mel fashion, it definitely got gory but this was good. Andrew Garfield really did a good job.
- Hell or High Water – What a pleasant surprise!
- Hidden Figures – I have to say this was a pleasant surprise. The trailer didn’t intrigue me. Taraji put in work in this movie. Shame on all the award bodies that ignored her.
- La La Land – I liked it. You can see my review on it here
- Lion – Enjoyable enough movie. I think the movie could have gone deeper. Little Saroo was such a delight to watch.
- Manchester by the Sea – I can acknowledge that Casey Affleck nailed it as a completely wrecked sad sack but the movie was just okay to me.
- Moonlight – sigh. I loved this movie. Everything about it was just right. And done right too.
- Elle – Enjoyable movie with the usual weirdness of a foreign movie. Warning that it has a graphic rape scene.
- Loving – Honestly found it boring. Probably should have been a TV movie.
- Jackie – Just an okay movie as it focuses mostly on the interview Jackie Kennedy gave after her husband, JFK was killed but boy did Natalie Portman put in a hell of a performance.
- Florence Foster Jenkins – Haven’t seen it. Probably won’t.
- 13th – Quite honestly haven’t been able to muster the courage to see it (It’s available on Netflix) *update – thought it was meh
- Captain Fantastic – Not sure how I feel about this movie. Nothing spectacular.
- Nocturnal Animals – I don’t know what the heck this was or how people like this movie. The alleged twist at the end was not enough payoff for sitting through whatever it was.
- Moana – Cute ending and cute songs but just didn’t do it for me.
- Zootopia – I liked it. Seemed relevant for our climate now (available on Netflix)
- Kubo and the Two Strings – Have not seen it.
- Toni Erdmann – Have not seen it.
- The Jungle Book – Great visuals
- O.J Made in America – Still don’t approve of it being on TV and the movies but this is great stuff
- 20th Century Women – Haven’t seen it
- Suicide Squad – (What? it was nominated for makeup and hairstyling) My thoughts on it here
- The Salesman – I liked.
Clearly, I haven’t seen as many as I’d like and I wonder if I will get a chance to.
What’s Streaming On Netflix
What’s Streaming On Netflix – February 2022 [with recommendations]
One month down! It’s the month of love so there is a ton of romance content including the…
What’s Streaming On Netflix – January 2022
I can’t believe we are here again and starting from January. There is a bunch of new stuff that…